Jun 07

Print Jargon Made Simple!

If you’ve ever found yourself scratching your head when you’re talking print, then you’ll be pleased to know you’re not alone!

To protect your hairline, and your sanity, we’ve put together an A-Z ‘Jargon Buster’ to ensure you’ll be talking print in no time at all! You’re welcome šŸ™‚

Artwork – The name given to describe your design

Bleed – The name given to the designated area around the edge of your artwork, the extension of your design. This ‘bleed’ enables the printer to be able to trim the paper to the required size which will cut the bleed off and leave you with your required size. When this is done correctly it will leave no visible white lines on your design.

CMYK – Relates to the 4 main colours used in printing (think about your printer cartridges at home). The letters each stand for one of the 4 colours; C is for Cyan (blue), M for Magenta (pinky/red), Y for Yellow and K is for Key (or black to you and me).

Crease – An easy one here, the permanent lines in your paper that assist in folding the product more easily.

Crop Marks – Ever noticed those solid black lines that appear in the corner of submission ready artwork? Well, these a crop marks and they are used as guides when cutting the product to the finished size

DPIĀ – Another abbreviation, DPI stands for Dots Per Inch. Used to measure how much detail is contained in an image, the more dots per inch the better the quality of the image. If you want the ideal measurement for printing, rememberĀ 300 DPI.

Finished Size – No rocket science required here! Finished size relates to the final size of any printed work once it’s been printed and cropped.

Finishing – This is the final part of the print process and usually involves trimming and folding.

Flat Size – The size of the printed paper before it has been folded, but after it has been trimmed.

Font – A familiar term to some people, the Font is a set of letters/numbers/symbols that have been created to look a certain way. The design is called the typeface

GSMĀ  – The print world loves an abbreviation and this one relates to the weight of the paper, it stands for Grams per Square Metre. The higher the GSM the heavier the paper.

Gutter – This term is used to describe the margin between two facing pages to accommodate binding. The margin will vary depending of the type of binding method bring used.

Lithography – A printing process which uses metal plates, ink and water to transfer the required artwork onto the paper or card. Its a process that is best suited to large quantities of print.

LaminatingĀ – Refers to the thin plastic film that is used to coat the paper. Laminating can create a premium finish, usually Matt, Gloss or Velvet and can also increase durability.

Perfect Binding – This is the process of gluing together individual pages using a spine to create a booklet.

Proof – A pre-print example of your artwork that can be checked for mistakes prior to approval. The final draft of your artwork.

PP – Printed Pages or PP is used to reference the number of pages in a document.

RGBĀ – Reference the colours Red, Green and Blue and are the 3 main colours used to create screen-based images. RGB images should not be used in any artwork created for print but first should be converted to CMYK.

Safe ZoneĀ – This is the area that should be left around the edge of the artwork to ensure that none of the artwork ends up trimmed during the printing process.

Stock – The name given to paper or card in the industry.

So there you have it, the A-Z of Print Jargon made simple! So next time you chat to us about your print requirements feel free to drop in some jargon.

About The Author

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *